The Islamic Studies Program of the UP Center for Integrative and Development Studies, the UP Institute of Islamic Studies, and the Embassy of Indonesia in Manila will organize an international seminar-workshop on Madrasah Education with a theme, Exploring Best Practices in Madaris and Islamic Studies Education between Indonesia and the Philippines, on July 4-5, 2018 at Balay Kalinaw of the University of the Philippines Diliman.
Since 2015 there are strong moves across the regions to promote the seventeen (17) targets in order to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), such as quality education, reduced inequalities and peace, justice and strong institutions. In order to support these three targets in the field of Islamic Education, the Indonesian government through the Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Phillipines through the UP-CIDS -Islamic Studies Program, UP Institute of Islamic Studies and the Office of the Education Attaché organized this International Seminar Workshop on Madrasah Education seminar-workshop with the following objectives:
- To gather experts to share best practices on Madrasah Education between Indonesia and Philippines;
- To conduct workshop that can provide assessment on gaps and areas for development on Madrasah pedagogies, curriculum, teachers’ support system and instructional resources such as books, textbooks etc.;
- To plan out future activities and areas for further collaboration to enhance the quality of madrasah education in the Philippines;
- To strengthen linkages and sharing of experiences between Indonesia and the Philippines;
- To produce and publish discussion and policy papers in compliance with the UPCIDS-ISP requirement.
The organizing committee believes that education (Madrasah Education) is one of the indispensable tool in promoting moderate Islam to prevent extremism and terrorism (“counter extremist narrative through education”) in some vulnerable areas in the country.